Thursday, August 20, 2009

Exceeding expectations!

That's what we did...we managed to get $3801 in donations! Word on the street is that there are still a few straggling donations coming in...so we might flirt with the $4,000 mark. Either way, we did it, we exceeded our goal...to that I say...HECK YEAH!!!

Thank you to everyone for helping out! Without everyone working hard to donate we wouldn't have done it. My sincerest of thanks go out to everyone that made this possible! :-)

Now, on to the business at hand...preparing for a 100 mile bike ride. As I type this our little carbon fiber beast is getting fitted with new rubber. Apparently I rode so many training miles that she was in need...badly in need. My buddy Grant is hooking me up with some sweet tires over at The Bicycle Shop in State College. Once I pick her up, we'll give her a thorough cleaning, lube up the necessary parts, take her for an hour shake down ride tomorrow morning, and then tuck her away safely until Sunday morning...when together we will unleash the furry on 100 miles of Philadelphia's finest tarmac.

100 miles...4300 feet of climbing...a goal of under 6 hours...a daunting task for a weekend warrior like myself. Not to worry though...we've got some extra power coming along for the ride! We've got the spirits of those who have lost the battle with cancer, the hearts of those fighting right now, and the belief and will of those that have seen what cancer can do first hand. I'm one of those people. I've seen what cancer does to people...it's not pretty. That's why we fight...one thought at a time...one prayer at time...one donation at a time...and that's why we'll fight on Sunday...one mile at a time! I will do my damnest to break the 6 hour mark...not because I win any awards...nope...no trophies...no checks...nothing like that...it's about showing cancer how hard we can fight...and that we'll win this war...one battle at a time! On Sunday morning I will wake up and say to cancer...BRING IT...because today we've got something for you!!

Thanks again to everyone that helped out!

For up to date progress on the ride...check out my twitter updates. don_page10 is my twitter handle. I might even throw a few updates out from the saddle. :-)


Peace!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Don,

Congratulations on an amazing ride and for gathering such huge support of Livestrong. We were pulling for you all day long on Sunday, and I treasured the updates Ron sent once I was in range of cell reception.

I hope those legs are recovering well! You are amazing.

Hugs,
Kelly