Monday, July 13, 2009

90.


This was the view from half way down the climb at mile 40. It was gnarly, but I love a good climb.


I was in Rebersburg today...home of the famous racecar driver, Butch Leitzinger...this is his house. :-)
So the 90 in the title of this post is because I rode 90 miles today! I figured it was time to see how all this training was shaping up...so I rearranged my schedule at work to allow a full day for riding. It ended up taking me just over 6 hours...not bad...but not where I want to be. I want to complete the 100 mile LIVESTRONG ride in 6 hours...so I've still got some work to do. All in all though, I was pretty pleased with the ride. I battled a descent headwind for about 40 miles, and tackled a gnarly climb at mile 40...I love a good climb...but it was a little disheartening to reach the top knowing I had another 47 miles to go.
I stopped for food/drink supplies two times...both at awesome little country stores with great folks abound. Everyone was curious how far I was riding as they don't get too many riders that far into the valley...I told them the goal was 90 and each of their faces dropped...that's a long way on a hot day like this they said...I told them I was thankful for their great little store as it allowed me to refuel and catch a few smiles which always brightens the day. I'll take one of those stores over a big chain any day...good stuff...and great people! :-)
My next ride will be a recovery type ride on Wednesday...I'll be curious to see how the legs feel after today's long trek.
Peace!

1 comment:

Ron and Kelly said...

Awesome! It's great when you can cover distance like that. I know you'll be able to do 100 in six. I bet if you worked it you'll do 100 in 5 by the fall. Local stores are awesome! Kel and I ran into so many on the trail it really gives you a sense of what America is all about.

Cheers,

R