Thursday, June 11, 2009

Easy spin.

I got out yesterday for a very easy spin...a zone 1 recovery type ride. It lasted about an hour. I will do that again on Friday and then rest Saturday in preparation for a hair-brained idea I got the other day...

to ride in The Stoopid 50! A 50 mile mountain bike race in Rothrock State Forest on Sunday. Don't get me wrong, the race part really doesn't apply to me...as I'll only be trying to finish. I figure I'll use this as training for the LIVESTRONG ride. If I can do 50 miles in Rothrock...I can do 100 miles on the road bike.

Part of the reason I decided to do this is to test my endurance. I really don't know where I stand in that regard...so why not test it out now while I still have just over two months until the 100 mile ride. I really want to be able to finish this race!

Goal number one for Sunday: finish the 50 miles.
Goal number two for Sunday: finish in less than 8 hours.

Fundraising news:

I dropped off my proposal to The Bicycle Shop in State College...and it looks like they will be able to help out with a donation! That place flat out rocks!! Erik (the owner), and Grant (my buddy who is also the manager of the shop) are great guys that have helped foster my addiction to cycling by providing top notch bikes, repairs, support, and guidance...to them I say...THANK YOU!!!

This is just the tip of the iceberg with my plans...I have over 20 businesses I have helped support over the years that I'm hoping can repay the favor. I'll be dropping off proposals to all of them over the next week or so. We'll see how it goes...

Pardon my language on this...but I wanted to share my final thought on deciding to do The Stoopid 50 race...it seems like a descent quote...

"Sometimes you just have to say fuck it, and see what you're made of."

Peace!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Great! Great news about the Bicycle Shop too. Grant seems like a stellar guy and that is one nice shop. 50 miles in Rothrock ain't nothin' buddy. I'm sure some of those businesses will come round.