Monday, June 15, 2009

Stoopid 50 report.

Anybody want to go for a bike ride today? Believe it or not, after over 8 hours in the saddle yesterday, I'm ready for another ride today! I wish I didn't have to work...I'd love to go out for a nice easy ride. I think I've crossed the threshold and am now officially addicted to cycling. I continually hurt myself (i.e. sore muscles) on the bike and still want more...it doesn't matter how sore I am...I want to be on the bike.

On to the report...

So, it started off at Tussey Mountain Ski resort...we rolled out behind the start car...they pulled off...and we were off on our 50 mile adventure. I got in a 15 minute warm up around the parking lot so the legs were ready to go. I decided to start at the back of the pack so I wasn't in anyones way...my plan was to go easy so I could finish...I talked with a few people in the back...one guy in particular (Phil) who was also a first timer. I tried to share info on the beginning stage of the course as I knew where we were headed. He seemed to appreciate the advice, but didn't listen very well as he took off to catch the pack with a few others, only to blow up once we hit the single track climb up the ridge. I tried to warn him. I stayed back and played it cool as I knew what was coming...I ended up passing about 8 people on the single track climb...they clearly had overworked themselves and it was only the beginning of the race. Ever hear that phrase, the race can't be won in the first mile? ;-)

I continued on over the ridge trail, passing another 3 to 4 people...some with fitness issues, others with bike issues. I spread some good karma by stopping to help a guy...gave him a quick link for his chain as it snapped in two. He was thankful. I kept on, hitting the descent on the backside of the ridge, took it a little too fast and crashed. Endoed...got hit in the head with my rear tire...took a handle bar to the chest...and decided that I better back it down a notch...the goal is to finish...not to stroke the ego on the downhill sections. :-)

I hit the aid station at the 18 mile mark...felt pretty good...took in needed food supplies...and loaded up on fluids. Off to the Coopers Gap area...an area that was supposed to have less rocks...yeah...not so in the beginning...at one point I wanted to know who put the course together...I had plans to give him a swift kick in the you-know-what's when I was done.

On through Coopers Gap...a guy comes up behind...I let him by...and then proceed to watch him crash 4 times right in front of me! He was fatiguing and having trouble with the rocks. He was ok from all the crashes...although he did admit that the 3rd crash "hurt". Continuing on through Coopers Gap...at about mile 30...running out of fluids...in need of the aid station...badly in need of the aid station...I started to worry about the legs cramping up...not good. I come off the single track to a course worker...he gives me the word that it's 3 miles to the aid station...thank goodness...I need nourishment and fluids bad. I hit the aid station, get my fluids...lots of food...and find out that they sent the sweep riders already...no worries...I'll just keep going knowing there is no one coming up behind me. The only problem with this is that the sweep riders took down the trail markers...and I came to a fork in the road...and ended up taking the wrong turn. I didn't know I was headed the wrong way until I came upon an area I knew...and by that time I was too far down to turn around...I was not a happy camper. I decided to create the rest of my ride on the fly...making sure it totalled out at 50 miles. I ended up back at my car...completing the entire 50 miles...but was bummed as I never hit the official finish line due to going the wrong way...so my time will be scored as dnf in the books. A little bummed about that part...but super psyched that I accomplished my goal of riding my mountain bike for 50 miles!!!

It took 8 hours and 19 minutes...some moments of wondering if I'd finish...some moments of knowing I'd finish...some pain...some cramping...some encouraging words from spectators and other riders...some thoughts of wondering if the climbs would ever end...some thoughts of wondering if there would be any trails without rocks...some moments of thinking I found a new love in endurance mountain biking...some thoughts of being thankful my bike worked flawlessly...some moments of appreciating the great people that are part of the cycling world...some moments of thinking 8 hours and 19 minutes is slow for 50 miles...some moments of appreciating that my wife was kind enough to stay home with the kids while I rode my bike all day...some times of wanting to go home because I missed them all...some thoughts of why I was doing this...and some thoughts that being out in the woods with nothing but pedal power is a feeling like no other.

I am a lucky man...with an innate ability to keep moving forward no matter the circumstances. That helped me finish...and will help me finish again...faster than 8 hours and 19 minutes.

I leave you with this...

"Happy are those who dream dreams, and are ready to pay the price to make them come true." - Leon J. Suenes

Peace!

1 comment:

Ron and Kelly said...

One day a woman asked him: How do you to survive? He said: Oh dear, listen here. And this is what he cried: I wear two shoes for cycling, cycling to be free, two shoes on my feet paying tribute to the cycling community!

Rock on DON – super accomplishment to push on when other outside motivating factors had gone. That is no easy task my friend!