Sunday, May 3, 2009

150!

I did it...I achieved my goal of 5 days, 5 rides, totalling 150 miles!!

Today's ride was supposed to mirror yesterday's ride, but that didn't happen. I saw some signs out for a charity ride the other day...a charity ride around a loop I usually ride...so I figured if the timing worked out I'd go out to support everyone, ride around at an easy pace, make some friends, donate a few dollars to the cause, and just have a good time at a cool event. Yeah, turns out I showed up to a slug-fest! Apparently they time this event, so it's basically a race. I showed up 5 minutes before the start, unregistered, asking what the deal was only to find out I had to sprint to the starting line if I wanted to do the ride...so I did...still thinking it was an easy pace ride. Did I mention that it was raining?! So, I show up at the pack of riders (probably 12) getting ready to start, tell them my situation...and they cheer with enthusiasm because I came out in the rain...yeah...then I find out it's a race format. My legs were just about spent from the previous 4 days worth of riding, but I figured what the heck, I'm here, might as well see how it goes. They start, I decide to start off slow, see what the pace would be like...one guy just takes off...he was clearly ready for this event. I'm riding second for the first mile or so...wondering where everyone is because I'm really not pushing...and a three guys pull up behind me...start small talk...and I am immediately relieved, feeling as though this isn't a cut-throat event. Yeah...not so...they pushed the pace until we hit the first climb...I decided to stretch the legs and see what they had left in them...I pass all three guys going up...and they catch back up when we leveled off as the legs let me know they were in no mood for this. I decided to cool it and just ride with the other three guys for as long as I could. We ended up doing two laps for a total of 10 miles...not really a big deal at all...but considering how tired I was and how ready these people were...I had to push pretty hard and my legs just didn't like it at all. I decided that since this was my last day of riding before a few days rest, I'd push through the pain as long as I could. So we hit the climb starting the second lap and again I charge up leaving all but one guy that made a mad sprint just before the climb...one of the other two guys catches me on the flat...and we start talking about the guy that took off...he didn't want him to get too far away...I agreed...so we paced him for about a mile...and then I pulled up next to the other guy and said let's go get him...and took off...I passed him on a long gradual uphill...the other guy held back...I'm now in second place with about 2 miles to go...I'm pretty excited...until my legs starting shutting down...they had had enough...not even being willing to hold a steady pace until the finish...the guy that held back caught me...asked if I was gonna push him to the finish...and I told him no way...I'm done...go for it...and he did. I finished third...not bad for an event I was clearly not ready for.

I will say this though...I really enjoyed the "racing" experience...big surprise there huh?! It's in my blood. If all goes well over the next month and a half...I might have to try this out for real at a cat 5 road racing event. Rest assured if I sign up...I'll be ready for that event. ;-)

2 comments:

Ron and Kelly said...

YEAH! 150 miles and 3rd place all in a weeks worth of fun. That is pretty freaking amazing. So Kelly and I are thinking about road bikes. Maybe this summer we take the plung – I'll be in serious trouble trying to keep up with her. I'll have to send her up to PA to ride with the man!

Don Page said...

You will love the change of pace with the road bike!

Umm, yeah, I'm a little nervous...if Kelly rides anything like she runs, we're all in trouble. ;-)