Thursday, March 5, 2009

Goals.

I'm a dangling carrot kind of guy...by that I mean I like to have something to shoot for...hence the topic of this post. On this, the day before my "secret weapon" arrives, I thought I'd lay out a few of my LIVESTRONG Challenge goals.

Let's start with my weight, since that seems the most appropriate place to begin. As an adult, my heaviest weight was 202.4 pounds. I know, holy fat bastard! I'm only 5' 5", and I like to "think" I carry my weight well, but that's just porky pig...now matter how you look at it. When I hit that weight, I decided a change was in order...especially considering that when I was in college, and ran like 25 to 30 miles a week, my lowest weight was 136. My friends thought I looked sick, because I was so skinny, but man did I feel AWESOME! I don't think I need to hit 136, more like 160. When I started this deal I weighed in at 189.6. On the scale this morning, 181.2...SWEET...that means progress is happening...I like progress...that means the carrot is getting closer. For this Challenge my goal weight will be set at 160. I think donating one of my chins along with some cash will be pretty sweet. :-)

My second goal is to really take the LIVESTRONG message and apply it to my life from here on out. I have a family, and generally like being alive, so I'm thinking it's a good idea to be as healthy as I can, so I can be around to enjoy life to its fullest. I will apply this message on a daily basis, by remaining steadfast in my approach to fitness, on a physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual level. After all, the definition of "health" covers all four areas, and I want to be "healthy". You know, I actually remember that from my high school health class...never forgot the definition of health, just didn't always work to have it be part of my life.

The next goal also revolves around the LIVESTRONG message. I want to inspire others to live more healthy lives and really have the LIVESTRONG message transcend the fight against cancer. We tend to be an unhealthy overweight country, and that is, for the most part, because we don't make good choices. Believe me, I'm guilty...it's easy to make poor choices...they usually taste better. ;-) Seriously though, my hope is to help the message get out that we can all be healthy individuals that lead very fulfilling lives...and it starts with choices...good choices.

So, there you have it...a short list of my goals as I embark on the LIVESTRONG Challenge. Stay tuned...I'll be unveiling my secret weapon after I pick it up tomorrow.

Until then...

SIUNARA

2 comments:

Ron and Kelly said...

Don,

Those are fantastic goals. I didn't know that LIVESTRONG embodied more than the basic fight against cancer.

I know you can achieve those goals. I went from 198 to under 150 in 6 mos on a 6'1" frame. You can surely do this! Make sure you don't skimp on the eating though. Otherwise it'll be too hard to loose the proper weight.

Much love to you brotha!

Ron

Don Page said...

Heck yeah brother...check it out!

Livestrong.com

Come to think of it, we should add this link to the blog as well...it's full of great stuff.

I hear ya man, I've been cutting back portions and making better eating choices. I won't go down the "starve yourself road", that's NOT a healthy way to lose weight.

65 degrees this weekend...I see many miles of the open road ahead! :-)